Monday, October 02, 2006

Are you ready for the results?!?!?!?!?

I will build up to it.

The Spinning Contest was BRUTAL.

But first, here's a challenge suggested by , spinning different weights of yarn from the same preparation:



Left to right, laceweight, sportweight, worsted and bulky. This was fun. And made me feel very competent in preparation for...the spinning contest!!



Challenge #1: Spin and Navajo ply a DK weight COTTON yarn. Have you ever navajo plied cotton? Well, virtually impossible is not an overstatement. I ended up with exactly 1 yard of yarn. I felt rather pathetic after that one.

Challenge #2: Spin a bulky weight woolen yarn from the wool samples. I did a single of some smooth brownish wool and a single of some wool with silk noil (I think) blended in. I was very proud of this yarn as it came out exactly like I wanted and was balanced as well.

Challenge #3: Spin a laceweight singles yarn from a silk hankie. I am not yet good at hankies or caps. I did okay for a while, then it kept breaking so I stopped. I couldn't get it attached again. I was not confident in this yarn.

However (drum roll, please) I WON THE INTERMEDIATE BLUE RIBBON!!!!



Thank to all who challenged me and encouraged me and a special thank you to Joy for going with me and cheering me on. She might have been more excited about my win than I was! Of course, now I have to compete as an Advanced Spinner, so it will take me another five years to ribbon again. But it's all good!

Have a great day!

5 Comments:

Blogger sheep#100 said...

Way to go!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Joyfossil said...

You guys, it was so fun! Wendy WON!!! I am so proud of her because it was obvious that the first and third challenges were HARD.

The cotton was all weird and when I knit up the little ends Wendy gave me, it was, well, Weird. The silk was spiderwebby both before spinning and after. Nobody (obviously) did better than Wendy! Her middle challenge yarn is BE YOU TEE FUL! It looked all chunky and rough but it wasn't, it felt nice and was uniform and really attractive!

It was a cool experience, going to the fair and watching the spinning contest. Most of the spinners are these women who obviously do this all day... I don't think they ever move from their wheels. There was a man spinner who was friendly - he was a rabbit farmer. He spins but doesn't knit so he has all this yarn all over his house...

As celebration of Wendy's spinning excellence, we had a feast of fried things - fried tomatoes, friend avocado, friend mushrooms, zuccini, asparagus... All YUM.

I am so proud of Wendy and so glad I got to go!

Yay yay YAY Wendy! Our Los Angeles Intermediate Spinning CHAMPION (queen of all fiber, dutchess of the wheel...)!

Love,
Joy

12:36 PM  
Blogger Brewer said...

Congrats! I'm so excited for you!

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! That is SO COOL!!!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Star said...

Congratulations! I knew you'd ribbon... and what a large ribbon it is! It sounds like a really hard contest. You deserved to win!!!!!

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf