Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Today's Challenges

Today I first spun a two-ply, DK weight yarn out of some carded batts of wool and mohair.












Next, I handcarded some mohair locks and spun them into a laceweight singles yarn. This was more difficult as there were some lumps and the fibers were incredibly long. I will probably try this challenge again.



Those two challenges were done with a stopwatch so that I knew when my time ran out (it didn't). I can definitely spin the singles of a two ply for 9 1/2 minutes of the 15 and singles for about 12. I also ran out of fiber for the locks since I had only made one rolag. Next time, two.



The next thing I did was get out a faux cashmere sample and practice some long draw. This went pretty well and I find long draw to be rather magical. I like the resulting yarn very much.











The last challenge for today was worsted weight 2-ply from Alpaca top. My friend Michelle gave me this as a gift a year or so ago and I haven't touched it (want it dyed first) but I thought it might offer a challenge since I also haven't spun alpaca before.



I REALLY love this yarn. It's very soft, very smooth, very even. I will have to decide on some lovely warm colors for it and make my 8 oz. into something or other. Makes me wish I didn't live in a warm climate! It's just crying out to be a scarf.

That's it for today. I'm still soliciting challenges (not dryer lint, hair brushings or cat hair, though, although thanks, Joy for the horrors!!). Anybody want to see what I come up with?

Have a lovely!

6 Comments:

Blogger Joyfossil said...

Awww, come on... doncha want to spin carpet lint or dust bunnies? How about spider web (I got LOTS of that... I could ask Charlotte to go to your house, if you want). hee hee hee

I am so excited to see you do this!
xo,
Joy

7:56 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I wonder if they'll have silkworm raising kits at the fair this year...

Looking forward to a nice day off, I must say.

And Sunday!!

8:56 PM  
Blogger LizKnits said...

Hey there... saw your post to the snblosangeles list and came over to visit your blog. Saw your socks at the fair a couple of weeks ago... they're beautiful... congrats on the ribbon!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks! I finally saw them yesterday and they are right in front of the door where you walk in. And being screamingly bright colors, you can't miss them!

I may not have won a blue ribbon (I acknowledge that they are not perfect in many ways) I did place highest in my Class, so I am very happy.

Also finally got my ticket and parking pass for Sunday. Joy and Star and I will be having a lovely afternoon, yay!

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drat! Blogger just ate my reply.

I wrote that I am enjoying your spinning samples. It is a lot of fun to play with different fibers and spinning techniques.

I don't know the range of things you may be challenged with, but here are my challenges:
spin over the fold
spin a cabled yarn
core spin mohair
navajo ply a lace weight yarn
spin a boucle yarn
spin the same fiber (your choice) in a worsted, semi-worsted, and woolen preparation

11:55 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I will try the core spinning (what do you use for a core? thread?) and doing three weights from the same preparation, that should be a really good one. Also I'm going to get some cotton out and get back to that.

I've done from the fold recently and I think they won't do any cabling or three plies because each thing is only 15 minutes long. I will save those great ideas for next week when the contest is over.

Thank you so much for your suggestions! Pictures to come...

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf