Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Socktoberfest! (AKA, avoiding the sweater)

I'm going to try to answer Lolly's sock history questions. I'm not sure I remember the answers...

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

I started making socks about 5 years ago. I taught myself.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

My first pair was a pair of baby socks out of Encore Colorspun and they took me TWO WEEKS, at 24 (?) stitches around on worsted weight yarn. A bit of diffuculty, I guess, but they got me started on quite a roll. I don't know how they held up, but since they were never walked on, it depends on whether they got lost or not...They were for my stepfather's cousin/coworker's new baby.

What would you have done differently?

Nothing, really. They were very cute. My second pair was out of Silja and I knit them at too loose a gauge for my taste now. But I still wear them and they are OLD. Never been repaired.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

My own handspun is by far my favorite. Not that it's the best yarn ever or anything, but handspun has such a life to it and a fun level of mystery about how it will knit up, especially if I also dyed the fiber. Commercial yarn, I would say I don't have a particular favorite, although I don't buy Regia much because I like the colors of other brands better. I look forward to trying Knitpicks Gloss the next time I'm ordering from them. I do appreciate Knitpicks in general for good prices for good quality since I'm on a tight budget.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

Have not crocheted socks. Too thick, I think, plus they take WAY more yarn. I generally knit on DPN's, although I have tried 2 circulars and still sometimes do that. See answer to next question for why I most often do not. I enjoy DPN's and don't worry about SSS. I find my second sock always goes faster.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

I GREATLY prefer PGR's short row heels to any other heel I have tried, and I have tried lots. Why? I have it in my head, no pattern needed. Plus, it's extremely easy to replace (so my socks never get thrown out). I actually enjoy reheeling socks with this heel! However, they are impossible to do on circular needles 2 at a time, which is how I usually do that. I guess I could do them one at a time, but then why not DPN's, which are faster for me? I lose time in the sliding the stitches down to the ends all the time. But I did do the Fair socks on circulars because of all the fairisle. It was too hard to strand across that many transitions between needles, so I switched.

How many pairs have you made?

I don't really know. I have made more pairs by far to give away than to keep. I have done many, many pairs for CIC, but don't remember the number. My goal is to not have to wear commercial socks this winter EVER. I do have a week's worth for myself, so I can stop soon. But socks are my portable project so I always have some on the needles. In fact, right now, I have five pairs in progress. How many will I finish before spring? Who knows! But the new ones out of handspun will get finished before Christmas...I hope.

Pictures later of new socks, some new singles I'm trying to finish to clean off a bobbin, Rogue after separating front and back, prize orifice hooks.

Oh, and if you were wondering, no amount of alcohol, gayness or loneliness could make anyone who is not already a pedophile act like one. No amount. Got it? Had enough? Good. Me, too.

Have a lovely day!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Oh, and if you were wondering, no amount of alcohol, gayness or loneliness could make anyone who is not already a pedophile act like one. No amount. Got it? Had enough? Good. Me, too."

Amen to that. Isn't it interesting how little the flap is over this? If he was a dem we would never hear the end of it. Tolerence seems to come in different strength levels: red and blue.

I love that you mix politics and knitting. It never seems to work for me, so I keep them separate.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

The flap seems to be continuing. Hastert may very well go down and the election will be very interesting. If we can get a real vote. If the difference between the exit polls and the vote counts are too big this time, there might have to be a revolution!

Demand a paper ballot!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Joyfossil said...

In passing, I was thinking that it was pretty amazing that Republican power being what it is, that any of this managed to get out at all... I mean, horror of Republican horrors... being GAY? oh shudder shudder S H U D D E R... isn't that just NOT allowed? Aren't they all perfect? Pedophilia, not them? (Ok, color me sarcastic but it still amazed me).

I bet Laura Bush is NOT a Knitter.

(That is the meannest thing I could think of to say...)

(Ok, I am trying to find a picture in my head of Hillary knitting and it is not coming... but I bet in her heart of hearts, she wishes she had time to make a sock...)

Hey, Wendy, how about the race for Governator... think we have a prayer?

and, as for socktoberfest... you know my entire socknitting history. I have 2 on the needles now (Jill's 2nd yummy delicious Christmas sock and #1 of a seemingly somewhat misshapen Cascade Fixation "Lolita Toes"... although my feet are somewhat misshapen so... it may work...) and my Maiden Voyage socks are one on Brave Bunny's head and one waiting for bedtime of the girl... weird.

I have no socks made for myself. After Christmas maybe (I mean except for 'Lolita', who I have low hopes for...).

I am thinking of going on a Yarn Crawl tomorrow... go visit all the yarn stores I can in one day - The Studio City/Valley Village ones seem close together. I can do the Pasadena ones during some stupid Nutcracker Rehearsal!

Wanna come?
xo,
Joy

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I stopped by to say thank you for your note of encouragement over at Twisted Knitters.

When I'm done here I'm going to post photos of my new spindle there and at my blog where I will also talk about my great experience at Stick & Stone

Oh, and if you were wondering, no amount of alcohol, gayness or loneliness could make anyone who is not already a pedophile act like one. No amount. Got it? Had enough? Good. Me, too.

Amen.

p.s. I'm also an opera singing soprano. Not professional but classically trained non-the less.

Thanks again for the spinning encouragement.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks for the invitation, Joy, but we're off to Family Camp right after school tomorrow (god willing). Have a great time!

And knit yourself some socks, they are luxurious and you're missing out.

And Laura can't be a knitter as she is an evil robot. Robots cannot knit.

I think, unfortunately, Ahnold is quite far ahead in the polls but I will, of course do my bit. I'll also be making calls for MoveOn.org for an hour a week starting next week, which is kind of exciting!

Holly, so glad you came by. Wish you lived up here! But maybe we can get together and spin sometime, it would be fun. I WILL make it out to Van Nuys one of these days...but not this weekend.

Have a lovely!

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf