Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I learn something new every day...

But this one I should have known.

I spun up the singles for a sample skein of the blue and autumn rovings and here they are plied together:



Nice yarn, huh? Looks kind of blue, kind of orange, kind of multicolored?








Here it is in a swatch:



The warm colors completely negate the cool blues. This ended up looking like a tweedy orange/red/green/brown sort of fabric. Which is fine. But not what I was looking for.

I should have remembered: Warm beats Cool.

So if I want the semi-solid ply to dominate, it needs to be the warmest color in the mix, not the coolest. Which takes blue right out of the running in a 2-ply. Now, of course, I'm thinking of other ways to do what I want. And I'd still like a Noro-like singles yarn fine (except for judges!). And since I'm only competing against a standard these days, not the other spinners, a perfect singles yarn might very well do the job.

But first I will try other combinations of rovings, possibly even two different painted rovings in long repeats at the same time. Too much fun!!

Have a lovely day!

4 Comments:

Blogger Ina said...

Thanks for the commentary - very helpful to this newbie dyer and spinner. That's some difference from roving to yarn to swatch.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Star said...

That swatch is really pretty. I like watching your results!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

The swatch is fine. I don't like the brown, but that's the fault of the dyer (me) not the spinner (also me).

I need to figure out a color harmony where the solidish ply shows up properly, though, or changes in longer sequences or something...

7:23 AM  
Blogger Joyfossil said...

OH it's SO BEAUTIFUL!!!! I luuuuuuuv it. I lurve it. I know it's not what you were going for, but it's BEE YOOOOOOO TEEE FULLLL.

Now, let me get this straight. You are trying for a colorway where there is purple thoughout (one of the plys) and then changeable in pattern of other colors? Yes? Ok, what if you went purpler. As in the purple is a little deeper (not that I don't LUUUUUUV what you have but you don't) and then went purpler with the red (like a majenta rather than a tomohto) and the blue (like cornflower or some other purble blue). With yellow, I think paler, rather than bright and with green just match the intensity of the other colors.

Can I come over and play dye pot with you? I used to be a dyer for theatre, you knew this, right?

still... I luuuuuurve that swatch!
You are so darn talented!

xo,
Joy

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf