Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I need suggestions again!

I want to make enough yarn for a sweater. The yarn should have long color repeats a la Noro yarns but be 2 ply. So I can enter it in next year's Fair as a sweater. I have been thinking and thinking about this for months.

My idea so far is to spin singles that change color every 10 yards or so, 13 colors. I was going to do this as all singles yarn but I think it would be better to ply for judging purposes and all.

So if I want the sweater to be primarily purple, spin those singles for one ply and purple singles for the other, ply them together, I would get a subtle, purplish yarn that would have wide stripes, right?

Has anyone made these yarns at home?

Help me before I start!!

Have a lovely day!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have done several variations on this:

1. one ply solid with one ply alternating colors. The yarn has stripes, but more subtle than if both plies were the alternating colors.

2. one ply solid (say blue), one alternating colors with blue (blue, color 1, blue, color2, blue, color 3, etc.). Like above only a little more subtle.

3. You can always spin a little finer and navajo ply.

All three make different, but lovely striping yarns.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I'm a bit leery of navajo plying for a sweater. So much yardage!!

I'm going to sample, I think.

I will try a space dyed single plied with a solid single.

Then a space dyed single with another one in one hue but different values.

I've been trying to figure out how Trekking works, but I'm seeing that it has four plies and they all shift. That's a whole lot of singles yardage, too.

Getting the dye pots out now...

Thanks for your input!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Star said...

I'll be watching you figure this out!

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf