Saturday, November 11, 2006

Cranberry Bread

Having been asked to pass this recipe on, I thought I would post it here in case there are more people interested. I usually triple this recipe and make 2 large loaves and 3 small or 3 large loaves at once.

Makes 1 loaf.

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
Juice and grated rind of one orange (I use orange juice, bad me)
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp melted shortening or salad oil
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely ground
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (I use 1 cup; DH likes lots of nuts)

Mix dry ingredients together very well in a large mixing bowl. Put the juice and grated rind in a measuring cup and add enough boiling water to make 3/4 cups liquid (I use about 1/2 cup of juice and 1/4 cup of water). Add to the dry mixture. Add the egg and shortening or oil and mix just enough to moisten the flour mixture. Add cranberries and nuts. Bake in a greased loaf pan 60 to 70 minutes at 325. Check for doneness by putting a skewer in the center; if it comes out clean, it's done. Make sure to check. Sometimes this bread takes another 10 minutes! Store 24 hours before cutting (or not).

This bread travels well, freezes well, and is especially good toasted with butter (so says DH).

Enjoy!

5 Comments:

Blogger Joyfossil said...

Ahhh... I guess I'd better buy some cranberries.

This bread is one of the most delicious substances I ever put in my mouth!

Thanks for sharing.
xo,
j

2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummm!!

& I'm with you on using OJ instead of rind. I find rind much too pungent & overpowering. Plus! OJ is easier! :-)
gotta love the easy way!
I have this sudden need to get to the store for cranberries!!

4:55 AM  
Blogger Heide said...

Thank you for the recipe. I grew up on a cranberry farm and my parents still raise them. So anything that supports Mom & Pop is great in my book. Hope you've had a great Veteran's Day weekend.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I buy bags and bags of cranberries every year, Heide. I also make sugar free cranberry sauce for the low carbers in my circle. And sometimes chutney...

Happy to oblige!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Yum! That looks amazing and I think I've got exactly the right ingredients on hand to give it a go. Thanks for posting!

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf