Thursday, November 09, 2006

Now the real work begins

We cannot rest on our laurels, we must proceed to reining in these authoritarians to the best of our ability and allowing our justice system to take them to task. Yay!

Finally, fiber content.

Last Sunday, the weekend of moving slowly (which was pretty successful) I purchased some really exciting things:


Merino/Tencel in "Rainbow". I think it looks like fruit salad. I'm itching to spin some, but would like to try it on this:

Spindle by Dave Larsen. He says he can get two ounces of singles on one. Two ounces! But I don't know if I want to use the merino/tencel for spindle spinning. I'm too impatient!

However, there is always this:

This is Merino/silk, more yellow than the other. I'm hoping for something yellow/orange primarily (the color I am currently obsessed with).

Now, if only I could decide what weight of yarn I want. I don't like knitting lace, but these are crying out to be lace shawls. I have plenty of rovings that are better for socks than this. But these are four ounces, so I don't have a lot of options. Any suggestions would be appreciated, keeping in mind that I live in a warm climate (wooly hats and mittens don't come in all that handy).

I also bought some undyed superwash wool and a great needle sizer, which I will promptly lose.

It was the weekend of moving slowly because I decided I wanted to spend a couple of days not rushing. Just that. Having enough time to slow down. And except for about ten minutes, I managed it. Of course, I didn't get too much done, either. But I was calmer and more peaceful in anticipation of the nervousness of election day. Yay, us!!

DH ordered me to buy something for myself in celebration and who am I to resist an authoritarian! So I splurged on some more Crown Mountain Farms superwash. I will end up with all of the colors someday. It was so hard to decide! Pictures when it arrives.

Have a lovely day!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those rovings are BEAUTIFUL!!!! I can't wait to see them in their next life (yarn) and the one after that (knitted up) :)

I splurged today on a fancy candy thermometer and cookie press. Now, to the making of spritz cookies and caramel!

Enjoy your celebrating!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

All of my attempts at cookie press cookies have been terrible. But, of course, I need cookies that can stand up to the USPS (I make hundreds and mail them off as Christmas presents). Have fun!

I shall be spinning...

11:14 AM  
Blogger Joyfossil said...

oooooooooh.... that reminds me of CRANBERRY BREAD!!!!!

as delicious as that roving is pretty! (and let me tell you, it is PRETTY... I got to carry it in my backpack and pretend it was mine for an hour... mmmmm.....)

Is it hard to make the cranberry deliciousness? Maybe I need the recipe. I could make a batch for Thanksgiving, which is, happily, coming up (my favorite holiday!).

xo,
Joy

2:15 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I will post the cranberry bread recipe later. It's not difficult at all and I make batches and batches every year.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty rovings! Merino-silk is good for socks. The silk adds strength and helps the socks wear better. I would also spin and ply tightly. Silk is heavier (right?) so you might get a little less yardage than you would out of 4oz of wool. Still, those socks would be awesome!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Yay for a good election result! :)

Great purchases!! How do you like the merino/tencel blend? I have some that will probably be the next thing I spin, and I'm a little worried about destroying it. LOL.

Jessica

12:24 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

They would be awesome socks, definitely, that I wouldn't want to wear--too nice! Joy suggested a One Skein Wonder and I'm leaning that way.

Haven't tried the merino/tencel yet, but Eunny has some gorgeous laceweight spun on her site this week. If only I didn't detest the lace thing! Thinking about the Spinner's Shawl by Evelyn Clark anyway, though.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf