Saturday, July 07, 2007

Back to our Regularly Scheduled Knitting

Wow. I hadn't done any politics for quite a while, but this week was a doozy. Hey, 54% of people support IMPEACHING THE VICE PRESIDENT!! If we can get him out of the way, getting Bush out is a whole helluva lot less scary!


But I was knitting, furiously (and furiously). Finished this:
Retro Redux Shrug from Lace Style in Cascade Pastaza. It is very nice and very, very warm. Too warm for SoCal at this stage of the year, but after (or on!) Halloween, it will come in very handy.
A very straightforward pattern requiring 4 different sizes of needles.
Now. I have an announcement to make. I have indeed signed up for Mystery Stole 3. Do I expect to finish it in a reasonable time? No. Have I bought the yarn?
Yes. Have I bought Addi Turbo Lace needles?
Yes. Is this project really allowed to be in the queue?
No.
But I succombed. It was the Yarn Harlot that did it. I just couldn't stand it any more and it was the evening of the last day to sign up. I tried Mystery Stole 1, but failed rather miserably due to hating the whole process on the needles I was using and that thing still lives on, partly knitted, an eternal UFO most likely. I have ordered Zephyr Wool Silk in Pewter. My name is Wendy and I'm a Startaholic. Or maybe a joinaholic today.
In other and more frantic news, the Tour de Fleece starts today and I haven't gotten any spinning in yet so I must stop blogging, feed the children, type for an hour and a half and get myself in gear, so to speak. More laceweight BFL. I finished one lace bobbin on my Lendrum yesterday. I split the first half of the roving into very thin strips. The second half is being spun at the full width, hoping for some nice subtle striping in the yarn. Truth be told, I don't care how the colors come out, they are so lovely, sky blue, grass green, a bit of brown for the earth, just gorgeous. My goal is to have some laceweight for the fair by Thursday.
But here is my week of spinning:
Saturday and Sunday: laceweight BFL
Monday: Textured Tussah Silk from Spinderella, going for a DK 2 ply.
Tuesday: Merino Tencel sock yarn, fingering 2 ply.
Wednesday: Baby Alpaca bulky weight 2 ply (as for Fetching gloves, like the yarn I made for my Spin to Knit pal.
If I can manage all that and wash and dry it, I will have those plus the Navajo plied Dandylion and a skein of crazy sock yarn I made when trying out my new food colorings, which I reskeined yesterday. 6 yarns. 3 wools, 2 blends, 1 exotic.
I shouldn't have waited till the last minute. But the fact is I really didn't. I've been spinning all year and making yarns that I absolutely love. To knit with. For me. But since they changed the judging rules, I feel like I have to be as close to perfect as possible, not just better than the competition (which is talented but small). Also, as my spinning improves, my expectations go up. A yarn that's good enough to knit with may not be good enough for competition. Fun, though!
So I have a busy week ahead. And a trip to Pomona if I don't get it all finished, but that's okay, too. Pray the children don't mind playing at the park! And if you have a spare prayer handy, some friends of the Yarnpirate could really use them right now. And talk to your kids about not drinking and driving.
Peace.

5 Comments:

Blogger Heide said...

I'm all for impeachment proceedings! I just wish that someone... anyone could pull it together. cheney is scarier to me than gw. I received my yarn for MS3 today and then I went to JoAnn Fabrics and found some copper beads. I've only made it about 20 rows into the pattern, but so far I love it. It will probably be Christmas before this is finished here. I spun some tussah and camel blend from Crown Mountain Fibers and it was heavenly. Being new with a drop spindle though it ended up being a chunky weight after plying. It will probably be turned into a hat. Your shrug is beautiful! You knit that up quickly.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn said...

We should get together for spinning sometime!

12:07 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

I love that you get political on your blog! I'm also in favor of impeachment, but not very optimistic that it can/will happen - just because so many people areutterly ambivalent, or have been lulled into thinking that their singular opinions don't matter... *sigh* I'm possibly one of the more patriotic people I know (as in, I love my country and the ideals it was founded upon) but often get called "un-American" because I don't agree with the administration. Sheesh.
Anywho! The shrug is lovely, and you should know you're not alone on the Join-itis front. I also joined MS3 at the last minute, and am waiting for my yarn and beads to arrive...

8:02 AM  
Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

Thanks for showing that knitting and politics can mix well!

I also gave in and signed up for MS3. I am hoping to cast on today or at least doe a bit of a test swatch. Why do we do this to ourselves?!!!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Yes, well, all of us late entries to MS3 are in the soup, aren't we? I don't have any beads, either! But my yarn won't arrive till Tuesday probably, so I have time. I reiterate, as if!! I can only even start this if I get the wrongly sized afghan squares fixed and all of my fair spinning done!!

Hey, Yarnpirate, I would love to get together. We're in town till the 31st and back on the 22nd of August. Let me know what works and where we could meet!

And thanks for the political support from all. We are all in the same creek without a paddle at the moment. Here's to Leahy calling Pat Fitzgerald to testify to what Bush and Cheney really said about Plame and all of the other oversight that's going on, finally!

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf