Thursday, February 16, 2006

Branching Out

Well, I have achieved ten repeats of the pattern, whew! If only I had all the knitting I've done and not just what is left after tinking, tinking, tinking. But I have hopes of finishing this project before the flame goes out. 26 repeats to go!

And here's a fun new thing to think about: DH's play involves lots of craftspeople wandering about, singing about what they do, etc., in a sort of medieval city. So I said, how about spinning? You should have someone spinning in the city. Otherwise, where are they getting their ribbons and beautiful rich robes and all? So he took some wool, silk, fleece and a spindle to the director today and he bit! If the girl playing the ribbon seller wants to, I get to teach her to spindle so she can do it in the show.

So now I need ideas. I will post this question to the groups also, but what would be the best spindle for this purpose? It must be easy to use, spin long rather than fast and not take a lot of thought once it is started up. She should probably spin either already spun yarn or pencil roving, I suppose, so there's no real drafting to be done. And I think a bottom whorl spindle, medium weight. Any opinions?

I'm going to get in touch with a couple of vendors, too, and see if they would think about sponsoring the spindling in the show, since the budget may not allow for a really nice tool. Or I'll donate it and expect it back someday...with patina!

Happy spinning!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bess said...

You can go for whatever look seems authentic when you choose a spindle. Just be sure it's heavier around the rim than in the center. That's what makes a spindle spin longer. Weight near the shaft makes it spin faster.

That's why the Golding Ring Spindle spins for ever and ever and ever.

So pick the look you want and then glue pennies on the underside till it spins as long as wanted.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

You know, it's funny, but I glued pennies to the bottom of a CD spindle this afternoon, with that exact thought in mind. And they're still not dry. But maybe by morning. I'm going to teach her on CD spindles (droppable) and then move her on to my turkish in anticipation of the turkish she will get soon. Thanks for the advice!

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf