Saturday, November 25, 2006

Finally!!

I took a break yesterday and could have had a nap or done some knitting. Instead, I dyed some superwash roving I purchased in November. Finally, success!

I decided to do one of Deb Menz' exercises (to give me focus) and dye small sections of each color. I wanted a balanced yarn, colorwise, so I followed (sort of) Goethe's ratios, dyeing 50% violet (2 different colors), 25% yellow orange and 25% royal blue. I would like to point out that this roving will also spin up well with the other Crown Mountain rovings and may very well make it into another plying experiment...

I have a feeling that the yarn from this roving will look a lot like the roving itself. I liked this dye run because the colors came out only a bit brighter than I thought they would (but the white will make them probably exactly the pastel I wanted) and the dye struck very quickly and did not migrate at all. I have NO places where the orange blended with the blue, even though they are next to each other some of the time.

I don't want to spin this from the fold, though, and blend it all together so much; the colors are shorter than the staple length. So I will have to work on spinning superwash point of twist. Which is a good thing! I think some of the Crown Mountain Farms rovings would look better this way, also, and so will practice on my remaining Hang on Sloopy till I find a good width of strip and all that stuff.

In other fiber news, I have discovered that the FIL sweater is VERY wide. I'm willing to live with that rather than reknit, oh, the entire thing. But I have also discovered that the pattern is rather short. So I shall rip the bind off of the back and knit it to 29 inches (right now it's 25.5, which barely reaches DH's waist). Ann Budd's books put the largest size length at 28.5 and Fair Isle Simplified puts it at 29, so 29 it is. However, since the pieces are wider than the schematic, I will probably make the sleeves shorter (to fit DH as a guide) and it should work out in the end. Lots of ease!

I have worked out a knitting schedule and it is not at all a panicky pace. I should be finished with the sweater on or about December 10th, which is only 10 days past my original goal. Then I can quick finish DD's poncho for her to wear at Christmas and my friend's baby hat for her new baby before we leave. I wonder if they're having a shower and how NOT ready that gift will be?

In Twisted Knitter news, I did cheat a bit and start the sock:

It's hard to see how the colors are shifting in this photo and the line of demarcation is clearer than I anticipated. Too much contrast of value, I would say. I should make sure in future to go from high to middle to low, not high to low. But I will love these no matter what. It only means I'll have more socks later!

And don't you love that ball of yarn?!?!?

Hope you're all having a nice weekend. DS spent yesterday throwing up but will probably be okay today. Luckily we had no particular plans.

Happy Thanksgiving weekend!

10 Comments:

Blogger Abigale said...

Gorgeous roving - that looks like so much fun to spin up! Can't wait to see how it comes out on the bobbins!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks for the compliments! I'm spinning all of the superwash from the fold so far, but don't want to for this. Maybe I'll have time to do some sampling this week while kids are at school. This weekend has been all knitting all the time plus everyone is home, eek!

The sock is on my schedule now for my Christmas trip back east. It shouldn't be too difficult to finish while traveling; I just need to spin up the other skein, bummer!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You are your own worst critic! That sock is AWESOME! One of the greatest things about spinning and dyeing and knitting with your handspun yarn is that there are no mistakes. It's all good and it's all beautiful. At least that's what I think. If you saw that on my blog you'd be saying "it's great!" :)

10:33 PM  
Blogger Joyfossil said...

OHHHHHHH!

You have achieved Nirvana of the Roving. It's really really REALLY perfect! I love how the colors are so defined and don't blend or mush. That is just excellent!

Just the words 'knitting schedule' makes me nervous.

The twisted sisters yarn/ball and sock is soooooooooooooooooo pretty. I think that once there are more than one 'change' you won't see the demarcation line nearly as much. Even if you do, it's NICE!!

good work!

6:24 PM  
Blogger chipper said...

Beautiful roving! Can't wait to see more.

The sock is beautiful too. Can't wait to see more of it, too! :)

6:45 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks, all! Practiced some point of twist on the Sloopy roving yesterday so I should be okay to go pretty soon (when I have some down time--when is that?!?!?).

Have a lovely day!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Heide said...

Glad you and your husband are starting to feel a little better. That sock yarn and sock are just amazingly beautiful. And I can't wait to see how your pretty roving spins up. Someday I want to try a wheel. Take care for now and don't push yourself on a knitting "schedule". If you take the joy out of your knitting then you'll have to take up a new hobby... like building ships inside of bottles or something. Fiber is much more fun and it's cheaper than therapy.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Actually, the knitting schedule thing is making me feel better, rather than worse. What I wanted to see was when I can reasonably expect to be finished and move on. So it's just making it seem LESS intimidating rather than more. I didn't say how unfrenzied it is. I want to try to get to the end of the fronts today and I might or might not. I've given myself a whole week for the sleeves and three days just for the buttonbands.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be knitting the thing on New Year's Eve (going to their house the next day). Plus I'd love to get DD's poncho done for her (which would make her happy, too). Rogue, however, will have to wait...

7:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the rovings, and look forward to the spun yarn :-)
The lady's front room, is well, indescribable...French wallpaper in florals eeeek! This is because a) The French have good taste, or b) They want to spend more on gourmet food and wine...most likely!
You have to see traditional country French wallpaper to believe it. I can't post a piccie, I ripped all of ours of...apart from the blue carpet on the wall in the spare bedroom, but that's another story ;-)
Judy

11:12 AM  
Blogger noricum said...

Gorgeous ball of yarn!

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf