Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A Second Experiment

As promised. I used the superwash merino roving I dyed a couple of weeks ago:

I spun up 2 little sample skeins, one spun from the fold, one spun from the end, but parts of the same length of roving.
Top is from the fold, bottom from the end.



If you can see from this badly lit photo, the yarn spun from the end has more color definition and is a wider variation of values, as is the roving. The white areas really affected the yarn spun from the fold and made everything much more pastel. Some of the colors got lost, at least in the skein. Swatching may surprise me!

And just in case you were wondering, here is the second skein of my 4 colorway Crown Mountain yarn.
I absolutely love it! I'm planning to go ahead and cast on the second sock so that I can watch them both develop in their own way while I'm on vacation. I won't get to the socks till then, as I am still stuck on sleeve island (knit 2 hours, 1/4 inch of progress, WTF?) and then I MUST knit DD's poncho in time to be worn at Grandma's house.


Have a lovely day!

5 Comments:

Blogger margene said...

Your experiments are so informative. The final skein looks fabulous. Can't wait to see your socks!

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is some seriously beautiful yarn!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Love, love, love the second Crown Mountain yarn! The socks will be a very interesting pair.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful spinning! That's so interesting how the colors are so different with the different techniques. I'm enjoying reading about your experiments. :)

Jessica
http://zarzuelaknitsandcrochets.com/blog

6:20 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks, all!

I'm enjoying messing around, I admit it. Just wish I had time to mess with the yarns as well. But when I go on vacation, I will get some serious...playing done, I hope. And some spindle spinning...

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf