Saturday, December 02, 2006

What is the difference between these two things?

So as a practice run, I spun the rest of my half of the Hang on Sloopy roving from the end instead of from the fold. (FYI, the other half will be spun up for Joy, who bought me my Love Me Tender so's she could get some yarny goodness!). They REALLY look different:

Left is the first, right is the second. I like the second one much more, but I don' t know whether the color is better because of how I spun it or because it was just a more saturated part of the roving. I think it is the technique, though. The spinning from the fold really mixes everything up and the end spinning allows even short lengths to be seen independently.
If I have time, I will do a couple of samples from the roving I dyed last week and spin up the same section of roving both ways. I will do this, the question is WHEN??
Started making to do lists yesterday and I have a lot to do. I'm not, however, panicking. No school on Monday so maybe we can bake a bit. And my Christmas gift shopping is going to be as online as possible. I do HUGE amounts of baking to give as gifts, though, so I do have to get on the stick.
FIL sweater proceeds apace. Fronts done, back is three rows or so from new bind off, longer. Sleeves will begin today!
How is your Christmas knitting going?
Have a lovely day!

8 Comments:

Blogger Joyfossil said...

I was going to jump right in and say I liked the 1st one much better too, but then, thinking about it, it just depends. The second is more "Sock Hop" looking, rich color, lots of what you called 'barber poling' (which I like) but the first is an attractive color.. so the question must really be: Which one are you in the MOOD for.

What if you do half in one way and half the other and then stripe them (the socks). A Perfect tone match!

Can you ask Teyani what they do for Sock Hop yarn? Will she tell you?

Go bake!
(oh, and fyi, I liked my own cranberry bread, ala your recipe, much better AFTER it was frozen!)
xo

3:27 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Oh, Joy, I like the second one much better.

You decide for yourself. I have your 4 oz separated out and can spin them either way (but not before New Year's). It seems the fold spinning mutes the colors more, but it's all the same to me for you!

I will probably end up using my Sloopy for fairisle with something else (or buying more, bummer) since I'm using some of it for other stuff. But now I'm really looking forward to the difference between the two socks of the combined rovings, to see if the color definition stays more strong on all of them.

Hope you had a happy birthday (I still have your present)!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Joyfossil said...

Y'know, since you really, really like the color so much, you can use 'my' 4 oz of sloopy and give me some other sock hop home spun goodness. I mean I still love it, but I can love just about any one of them - and I know you have been in a creamsicle sortof mood lately. I am not picky!

I really really realllllly wish my sock hop YARN would come! It's been about 2.5 weeks - hopefully it will be soon (it was back ordered, apparently).

Anyhow, it's all so pretty. PRETTY. Everything you spin is pretty.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I would email Teyani about the yarn. The stuff you bought should have been in stock as they don't put it up for sale until it's done.

If you would prefer another color, Joy, that's fine. I don't mind giving you the Sloopy at all, though. You've seen all five, you can tell me which you like the best. Or if you want stripes, I can do one of each of something. Whatever!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I thought woollen would spin up brighter :-) the colour change is technique. Fold (worsted) spinning blends more.
I love it, hope you do too!
Judy

1:21 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Yes, I do love it and am glad not to have blended so much. But what I don't understand is why the fold spinning is squishier, if it's the worsted spun. The point of twist seems much denser, less air.

What's up with that?

2:53 PM  
Blogger Heide said...

Taking a break from the sweater to make some well-deserved Fetching mitts may me necessary to "save" and reinforce your sweater relationship... just sayin'

8:11 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

hi wendy! i'm enjoying reading your spinning posts. congrats on the kids' report cards :-)
i was lucky enough to buy my starmore books right before they went skyhigh! still don't have all of them...

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf