Monday, June 11, 2007

Summer has officially begun!

Well, it has here. School is out, we have been swimming, VBS starts this morning. And I think this is the first year that I haven't woken up in a cold sweat at least once worrying about some game that didn't exist and not having all the supplies, yay!

I must brag (even with no pictures). DS was a level 1 swimmer last summer, all summer. He progressed, but not to swimming on his own, not really. Saturday, he just went nuts! Floating on his back, floating on his tummy, floating in a ball, swimming underwater, swimming with both hands and both feet with actual strokes, head in the water. I'm astonished and proud! I will be having a talk with the level 1 teacher on Monday about whether they should just bump him up right away or not. He doesn't need to be reminded of that stuff, he just needs to swim.

Meanwhile, I have tons of things to do, of course. My list for today:

Teach VBS
Clean up living room (babysitting this evening)
Prep for VBS tomorrow
Finish weekend work
Have kids make Father's Day artwork (or we're in trouble for shipping)

My REAL plan for free time in the next month or so is serious Fair spinning. I know I won't get anything knitted unless it's socks in sportweight or something like that, which could work, but I'll see what I end up with. Entries must be mailed by July 12, which is WAY too soon for my usual projects. But what I would like is one or two skeins for two or three categories of spinning. So far I have one skein of wool that's good enough to put in. One. I would like to have:

Wool/Mohair
Wool/Silk
Wool/Angora
Alpaca

So I will be spinning a bit out of my comfort zone (wool) and making some batts and such. A month should be plenty of time to get some good yarns, if I don't have to knit them up as well. And if the wool/mohair comes out really nice, maybe some quick socks will be possible. But I'm too ambitious about what I want to knit. My blend is orange/yellow orange, which I love. I also have some purple/gold that I dyed, but I would have to blend it with something, which would mess with the colors. Or...I could spin a ply of purple mohair and a ply of wool for the other yarn and not have to muddy it up...hmm...But it would have to be stranded knitting to satisfy me. Need to do the yarns first and then worry about the knitting (plus I would have an extra 12 days if I drive the stuff to Pomona).

Is it boring to listen to my stream-of-consciousness? It must be, or I would have more readers! However, this blog is fun, regardless, so wev.

Wish me luck with the oh-so-religious games: Telephone, Musical Chairs and a variation on Red Rover (all in the VBS curriculum, not my fault!).

And have a lovely day!

4 Comments:

Blogger Knit.Or.Miss said...

I just wanted to let you know that I don't find your blog boring. I do check back more often than you post, but that doesn't keep me from coming back. I especially appreciate your frankness, openness, and your being in touch with reality! That is what keeps me coming back. Keep it up and don't worry about the meanies in blogland! Hugs, Carly

7:06 AM  
Blogger SheepsPyjamas said...

I also wanted you to know I read your blog -- I often don't comment (partially as I tend to be a bit of a wallflower overall, and partially because I'm not always sure what to say), but I do read your blog -- when I have enough time to catch up on blogs at all, that is...

I suspect a lot of us are writing mostly for ourselves and hoping that our fairly small audiences appreciate what we have to offer, but you know what, I'd much rather write that way and have fun than to write for a larger audience and feel as if I have to perform to keep them coming back! Keep on with it, please do!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Heide said...

I find your writing to be pleasant and enjoyable. And all of the wonderful pictures don't hurt either. Hope the summer goes splendidly! I have fond memories of VBS.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Joyfossil said...

As a person who witnessed the amazing Swimming Boy, I must add, HOORAY for him!

Also, Crafting for Jesus (also known to normal people as VBS) was FUN... as a non-bliever/heathen, I was so pleasantly suprised... It was great!

I love your blog. It's a usual stop for me, but I'm partial, since I get to see much of it in real life... but I love the bloggy part... especially when it's political or knitterly.
xo, Joy

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf