Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Now that I've lost you all

By being boring, having no pictures and not posting enough, here we go again.

I swear I will get some pictures taken. But there hasn't been much to shoot. I have started: 2 pairs of socks, 1 baby blanket, 1 summer top, 1 sweater. I still haven't found anything exciting to knit. Ho hum. I think Star is having the same problem.

Last night I might have broken through, though. After a disastrous day of swatching Euroflax sportweight for Soleil (no, too thin), I decided to swatch for the Scoop du Jour with my purple Merino Cable. Hit gauge on the first try!! Fabric is gorgeous, squishy and saturated. I'm 8 inches into the first sleeve!! And worried about how much yarn. It's supposed to take 1050 yards in this size. I have 1183. But man that first ball went fast. And I didn't keep the swatch, I just put it into the sleeve.

I think the formula is 1/3 yardage for sleeves, 1/3 for fronts, 1/3 for back, yes? That gives me 4.66 balls for each third and 2.33 balls for each sleeve. The sleeves are about 150 rows. I have completed 46 rows and have 12 yards left of the first ball. I should get seven more rows out of it. So. 53 rows per ball. That does not bode well for this yardage. That means when I'm done with the sleeve cap, I should have used up almost three balls of yarn. That will be bad. I could go down a size. I don't want that close fitting of a sweater (my standard fit sweater ideal is 38 inches).

Anybody knit this sweater? Any advice re: proportions of yarn usage? Is the ribbing at the bottom of the sleeve (4x4 for 6 inches) eating that much more yarn than stockinette that it will be made up for later when I'm doing stockinette?

I actually LIKE this project. I don't want to stop, I don't want to fail. Help!

Then all I have to worry about is the rest of my yarn is out in the garage with the Houseguest.

Hope you have a lovely day!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

I recommend you contact Bonne at Chic Knits. She's a sweetheart and I'm sure she'll help. Her sweater patterns are great. I'm pulling for you.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Thorny said...

If the yardage goddesses frown upon you, would you consider/would it be possible to kind of step back and do the ribbings in a different color?

You could do provisional cast-ons and start with working all the stockinette portions (assuming you want the purple to be the main color) and then see where that leaves you? Then you could just pull the waste yarn from the provisional cast-ons, pick up those stitches and start knitting the ribbings downward with either the purple if you have enough, or with a contrasting color if you don't.

Just a thought. Been lurking a while, glad to see you back!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

Oooh, that is a pretty sweater. I wish you lots of luck with the yardage issue, but I don't have any suggestions better that the ones already posted. Just want you to know, I'm pulling for you.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf