Monday, July 07, 2008

So many groups, so little time!

I am officially following too many threads at Ravelry! Then again, I'm having fun so who cares!

I'm participating in the Tour de Fleece again, which started on Saturday. My goal is to spin Spunky Eclectic Fiber Club stash, so of course I did the most recent one first: flowering weeds singles 1

This is the first bobbin of Flowering Weeds, Merino/Mohair, which I'm spinning to make a 3-ply sock yarn. But this will be a true 3-ply, not Navajo, so I'm moving on to another bobbin today. Second ounce is predrafted and waiting for me to get off the computer!

At the same time (of course) I'm in Summer of Socks 2008 and did finish the Marigold socks at the pool on Thursday: Summer of socks #1 I love being able to post photos from the phone, even if the photos are not great! Of course, since then my phone charger has ceased to work (ordered a new one) and so I am internet free at the pool for a few days, woe is me!

Loved the pattern, very easy to memorize and carry out, and am looking forward to wearing these if it ever cools off again.

As soon as I bound those off, I started Rivendell: Rivendell 1 Since this photo was taken I have turned the heel and decreased the gusset. I also changed needle sizes and skeins of yarn about halfway down the heel flap, which you can see if you know it's there, but is much better for the gauge on the harder wearing parts of the sock. The cuff fits loosely but not slouchy with all those twisted ribs and will work perfectly. I'm not sure how well these socks will wear as the fiber is very fine and soft, but they will be beautiful as long as they last. The yarn is handspun, I think South African Fine, I think from a fiber club offering but for the life of me I can't remember or find it online anywhere so I don't know for sure. I need to keep the little slips that come with the fiber in a notebook or something!

In non-fibery news, T-ball is over but for the celebratory events. A parade on Saturday morning, a party the weekend after. DS improved ENORMOUSLY and had a great time. We will be Ryan Dodgers again next year for sure!

We had a lovely 4th of July, swimming, picnic with friends, local fireworks, home by 9:30. Only flaw was DH had to work, sorry, honey, we missed you!! No pictures, though, since the Nikon is not working. It's going into the shop today or tomorrow (whenever I get up the gumption to drive that far). I'm having this terrible aversion to driving farther than the swimming pool for any reason. But I don't want to send the camera off in the mail, either, not knowing how soon I will get it back and all.

The rest of the weekend was quiet. We made a return visit to our local Historical Society museum, which is cute and fun and has an original house from our city's founding years. DS complained about going but really enjoyed himself there.

Sunday was church and a quick trip to the grocery store before settling in to watch "John Adams." Wow. Can't wait till tonight's episode. Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney are both giving very nuanced performances and are super fun to watch. I may very well buy a copy of the book this week for my summer reading (what, not a knitting book?!?!?). OTOH, there should be a YouTube of my solo at church very soon, so I will put that up when it's available. I thought it went well!

Enough?

Booked our airline tickets (ouch! Thanks, mom!) Friday so we are officially off on our way at the end of the month. Coming back two days before school starts, but that should be okay. Our school starts so early, there's a very limited window of opportunity this summer.

Have a lovely day!

Peace.

4 Comments:

Blogger June said...

Wow, I sure wish my "weeds" had more flowers in it! I love your colorway, mine is mostly browns and yellows! Yucky in my opinion! Found you through Ravelry - really nice spinning there! :)

5:53 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks! I'm really liking this fiber, but it gives a bluer impression than it is, I think. The blues keep ending up on the outside.

I'm just hoping to finish with enough to knit the short socks in Eclectic Sole while I'm away. Mmm...

8:52 AM  
Blogger ~ Phyllis ~ said...

Wow! Your spinning is divine and so is your knitting. Isn't Tour de Fleece fun? I'm spinning more than I have spun in ages.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Tour de Fleece is indeed great, as usual! I really need motivation to sit down at the wheel sometimes. But I have to replenish the handspun sock yarn. Now to get back to spindling, which I have been doing only when away from home on trips. But I really do love it!

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf