Thursday, June 05, 2008

Last days, first days

My friend J called this afternoon to see if I was excited that it's the last day of school. I guess so. It will be nice not to have to wake my daughter up in the morning. It will be very nice not to have to do spelling homework for a while or worry about lunch money and all that. But I don't have that feeling of an endless expanse of free time before me any more. It doesn't make me jump up and down, I guess. Plus next week we have VBS and I'm a teacher so that's a bit of pressure for me, if not them. But it's going to be SO fun!!

What do I look forward to nowadays?

Pajama days.
Time to knit.
Knowing the kids are safe in the pool while I...knit.
No choir practice. (I like this but it's nice to have time off)
Knowing I'll see my mom for a long (not long enough) trip later.

It's not so much the expanse of the whole summer, but the expanse of each day. What to fill it with, how to stretch it out. What to read, what to make, what to dream about. Will there be fireworks this year? Will DS pass Level 2 swimming? Different goals, different days.

Ultimately, I would like to slow down. They're growing so quickly and I'm so proud of them. But too soon they will be gone. Already my daughter plays in her room on her own or with a friend, not needing me for long stretches. And I find myself missing her, even though the rest of the time I just want to go ten minutes without having to leap up for something. Right now, she's just on the other side of the door but that won't always be the case. I shall try to appreciate that she's there.

Meanwhile, I have been spinning in my last couple of weeks of semi-free time. Dance with the Dervish: dervish skein 1a BFL top dyed by Crown Mountain Farms, Navajo plied for socks. I will use this for the main color yarn of my Sock Madness Final Round modular socks.

Grand Opening: grand opening skein 1 BFL from Spunky Eclectic (not club), 2-ply for (are you ready for it?) socks. I will knit these up this summer sometime. Such easy spinning, such flow with these projects.

Are you excited about summer? I'm ambivalent, but today, yes, as soon as I get a chance to sit down.

And thanks for the birthday gift, Hillary. It was great and you did a wonderful job this morning. Now let's go out and make us some change! GObama!

Peace.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, Sopranospinner!

I found you on Ravelry, in the LA Fair thread. I see that we are neighbors; I'm in Valley Village! My username on Ravelry is LadyPru.

I peeked at your blog, and I'm thinking, with a name like Sopranospinner, you've got to be a singer. I am, as well! Do you have a church job? Do you do caroling during the holidays?

I'm looking into more singing work here in the LA area - I have a gig as a cantor and soprano section leader at the cathedral in Orange County, but with gas prices sky-rocketing, I don't know how much longer I can afford to drive to the OC for that job. I've also done some Christmas caroling down there and I'd love to do more, but up here!

So nice to see someone who not only shares my love of yarn, but also singing! Do you knit with any groups in the area?

Anyway, I just wanted to give a shout-out to you - Nice to meet you!

12:19 AM  
Blogger Heide said...

Your spinning is stunning... as usual. We have 1 1/2 school days left here. I need to find a night job now for the summer. I thought of you while watching H give her speech. Happy birthday early!

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf