Monday, July 17, 2006

Evil, Evil Shelly

I have not only been taken over by Shelly Kang's Mitred Blankie, she is linking to me on her blogroll. This is very exciting! And yet, what is it I'm supposed to be knitting, again?



No, no, no, that's not it. That is ABSOLUTELY the WRONG PROJECT.









Ah, yes, fairisle at 10 spi. My hands hurt just looking at it. I have now reached the beginning of the most difficult band. It's just not at all intuitive. But the last two are easy-peasy. I'll be happy to get through this one tonight.



In Fair news, however, Star of Tour de Fleece fame, is going to join the merry band going to the Spinning Contest. Now to get her to enter...it is honestly the most fun EVER!! If they ever tell us the date, we will make real plans. I can ply her (ha!) with the details of two years worth of challenges and photos of skeins. I can tell her how to practice time trials and how long you can spin if you have to ply and skein within ten minutes. I can teach her how to spin the long draw and make yarn out of cotton balls from the DRUGSTORE...isn't this intriguing? Don't YOU want to enter the spinning contest? You're getting very sleepy, sleepy...

In non Fair news, here is a picture of DD and the new kitten. Do you think they've bonded at all?



I must admit, bad mother that I am, that I took photos of the children fighting on the couch this morning and threatened to post them to my blog just to embarrass them. But much pleading ensued. I will wait until next time...they've been warned. Summer vacation is very nice at times. Like now when DD is at Girlscout Twilight camp outside in the 400 degree heat. No yelling, no fighting, lovely. Honestly, both of my children (IMHO) are quite charming. Separately. Together, not so much. But then again, she HAS to put him to bed at night these days and he ALWAYS wants to play two player video games so she will play with him. And at least they are nice to each other with other adults than me.

Now I have a question: If someone comments to my blog, but I also read their blog, do I answer their comments on my blog or on their blog? I'm sure there's a rule about this that I have no idea of. I've been commenting back on my own blog so far if it references mine and on theirs if it references theirs. This is confusing. Help!

Have a lovely day!

10 Comments:

Blogger sheep#100 said...

Cute kid 'n kat picture!

Come visit my blog anytime! :o)

7:51 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I did...see comment!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Heide said...

I don't know if there is proper "blogging etiquette" or not, but my personal preference is that you address the comment below when it's posted or on your own blog in another entry. This way I can be nosy and lazy at the same time! I want to follow the conversation threads without having to follow links to other peoples' blogs. Also, an answer by itself to the commenter's own blog would make no sense. Therefore his/her readers would wonder what in the world you were refering to. Some people have an option of sending emails directly to those who post. My current blog set up doesn't include that option. As a result, I'd have to really dig in order to find their email addresses and give them an individual and private answer. Did I mention that I'm lazy? Actually, it's more a matter of time. I like to visit as many people as possible and my kids limit my blogging time so I do whatever is fastest. Time to switch from water to coffee, I'm rambling incoherently! Mmmm, onion rings.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks for the advice, Heide. I will continue on commenting the way I have been! And the onion rings are calling my name, too. I love the fair...putting the kettle on.

Have a lovely!

6:47 AM  
Blogger Brewer said...

I am soooo jealous of the fair spinning. I would go with you all in a heartbeat! For the fun, the hanging out and even for the spinning. I'd even be brave enough to sign up for the contest. But then, I moved about a year ago and have no friends here and I am just plain desperate for people to hang out with. :)

My kids are going crazy now too. I guess it's the heat. I'm just about ready to buy a plane ticket and run away. Far away! :)

You ladies have a FANTASTIC time at the fair! Good luck finishing your sock!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Star said...

I love that cute picture! And hey, even though you are knitting something other than the sock, you turned the heel. You are in the home stretch! Good luck!

I agree with heide about commenting. It's tricky but I try to follow threads where they lay, rather than moving them.

Also, all this fair talk (I mean onion ring talk) is working me into a frenzy. I ask, what have I gotten myself into??!! Maybe if I just watched the spinning contest I'll gather the courage for next year? Hee hee?

Chipper, it would fun if you could join us! Boo.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Oh, come on and join the fun! Seriously! Or watch, whatever you want, but I'll be SO glad to have a fellow spinner there with me (and Joy, who I have yet to quite initiate but since I am her sock enabler, she will probably come around soon enough...).

Weaver, at least you have friends here in blogworld, I'll hang with you anytime! Wish the kids were old enough to be cyber friends.

DD did not die at camp yesterday from heat prostration. In fact it was pronounced "The best day of my LIFE!!!!" Yes, she caught the exclamation points from me.

Later!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Joyfossil said...

Totally cute picture!

Isn't it nice that they are having SUCH a good time at Twilight Camp! I swear they all want to tell EVERYTHING that happened all at one time the absolute SECOND they get in the car! It's funny! The three girls are so different! Yours is excited and LOUD! She told me she got to hold the 'Spirit Stick' because she yelled the loudest - I was not suprised! (: Mine is excited and squeely. Our third one 'Kitten' (her camp name) is excited and a little less loud. She keeps losing all the things they make at camp - poor thing.

I am told (by Cheri) that we used to have a twilight camp in Burbank for years... I wouldn't mind doing it, if only it weren't soooo hot! I don't know how they live... it's so hot out there in the early afternoon. The afternoon is ok tho. Better not tell Jill, she will be compelled to restart Burbank's Twilight Camp, after she finishes visiting Hong Kong and Mexico...

I am also thrilled down to my bare feet (no socks... better knit...) about our sweet little carpool! Thank you a buzillion for being a part of it!

And, if it ever cools off so I want to do more than shower and lie naked in front of an air conditioner (sorry for the visual...) I would like to learn to spin. Can you teach me somewere with air conditioning? How long would it take to spin enough yarn for a pair of socks?

I am about to start heel flap #2.

And, I don't know anything about blog ettiquette.

Love,
Your sock pupil,
Joy

11:50 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Serious downside to having Twilight Camp in Burbank, we have to STAY and HOST IT!! I must admit to loving dropping them off (for once) and having it so quiet for so long it's weird.

Yes, mine is loud. And she stays loud for quite a while afterward! Or she did last night. But what a great time they are having, it's wonderful! Something they will always remember and want to do again.

I, too, am pleased as punch about carpooling. I really don't like going out at 7:00. Or 5:00. I'm so tired by the end of the day.

I will teach you to spin anytime, hot or not. Up to you. How much time for a pair of socks depends on some factors, as you can see. How quickly you pick it up, how thin you want the yarn, how much time you find to do it, blah, blah, blah. But I know you are 1) craftily skillful; 2) smart; and 3) obsessed. So it won't take you too long! It takes about four ounces of fiber to knit a pair of socks, BTW. A bit more than commercial yarn because handspun tends to be somewhat denser than millspun. But short socks could be even as little as 3 ounces.

You also must ply the yarn, which we haven't really talked about. Well, "must" is not strictly true, but I wouldn't spin low twist singles for socks until I had the regular stuff down somewhat. I wouldn't want the things to fall apart on you right away or anything!

Any time, dear. We're a lot less busy next week and maybe the heat will abate.

See you at the pool!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Shelly Kang said...

See, and I was just coming over here to tell you to give me your e-mail address so I can stop coming over here to respond to you. I keep forgetting that I can put comments on my own blog entries. It is very confusing. I'm happy to see your blanket forming. You will definitely be close to the front of the line for extra yarn when the time comes.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf