Sunday, July 09, 2006

Money S*cks

Okay, I've been tagged (twice, if I count both blogs that told me anybody who reads them is). Heide is tagging everyone with Scout's meme. To tell something about yourself that might make your readers lose respect for you.

Right now, we are SO broke. I might have to drop out of Spunky Eclectic's Fiber Club for the month (even though I am hosting the darn Spinalong) due to the fact that $15 may be the difference between red and black ink (and groceries) this week. Sad. Yes, I'm a grownup, yes, I work, I actually have two jobs. And am a full-time caregiver to my two children. Yes, DH works, he works very hard. But sometimes ends and meeting, well, they just don't. So if this makes you lose respect for me, so be it. If you've been there, you understand. If you haven't, count your blessings. I have trouble not worrying over money, but when I'm being rational, I know that as long as I am doing everything I can, worrying doesn't help. Thank goodness we are healthy (touch wood) and the kids are taken care of. Many, many, many people are worse off than we are and we are rich in love. And I do, in fact, have plenty of stash. Although I did sell some off on ebay this week, also a good idea. There's the meme.

In more fun news, I finished the first sock!!!!!!!!!



What do you think??!?!?!? I am rather taken with it. If I have time, however, I will redo the very top of the cuff in corrugated ribbing. I don't like the way it ends all that much (following the pattern). I would rather have it ribbed longer and then have a little bit of roll at the top. I've finished the toe of the second sock, slightly shallower, and am hoping that it will fit better. This one is a bit too long. When they come back from competition, if I have more yarn, I will reknit the toes and heels and make them smaller. We'll see if I ever really do that!

Here is a picture of the cuff fairisle, unwashed, unblocked, forgive me!



This is a fun pattern. And I have learned more about both colorwork and socks. This sock has been full of newish techniques for me and miles and miles of two color knitting (in miniature). Spinning wise, I think I should have spun thinner. I went for regular sock weight yarns and they are, albeit not completely consistent, but very nice yarns, I think. But in future, if I know I'm going to use many colors together, I will go for thinner yarns. These are about 14 wraps per inch and 16 or 18 would be less thick in the end product. Live and learn! I still love them, and I will knit more complex socks again in the future.

Thanks for stopping by! Tag, you're it!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Hey girl. That should not be embarrassing. For pity sake, most of us have been, are or will be in that situation. There are an awful lot of things we cannot control, yahknow? I was thinking more of a spinach in the teeth situation when I wrote. I absolutely love love love your sock. You did an absolutely awesome job on it. You gonna knit a match or fraternal twin?

4:58 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I was originally thinking that I would do fraternal, using the same stitch patterns but reversing the color combinations. But now that it's done, I'm going to go with matching. There's enough going on!

Thanks for the compliment!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Brewer said...

We feel your pain here. We're doing well now, but almost 6 years ago we (my husband actually) took a job in Alabama moving us far from all family and friends (Ohio). Since then, we've moved to Indiana and Wisconsin (where we are now). The family still all lives in Ohio and keeps asking when we are going to move back. Our favorite answer is "when the paycheck moves us there"

The sock looks great! I really love it!

6:42 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks! We're always talking about moving to Pennsylvania (closeish to my folks, closer to DH's family) but show business sucks you back in just when you think it's safe to go back in the job market, you know? Right now DH's business partner is talking about acquiring a production company and having DH run it here in L.A. But many times these plans amount to not much in the end. But it would be nice! And keep us in L.A. another few years. I'm ambivalent about moving back, although my mom and I are very close and I miss her terribly. I have a couple of REALLY good friends here (after a long drought) and my Brownie Troop and a great school district, blah, blah, blah, no snow, blah, blah blah. Glad things are going well for you! We're okay, just on the edge, as usual.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Heide said...

Oh cripes Girl, you should be proud that you're being responsible enough to stick to a budget and know your limits. Too many people today don't. I'm right with you on the broke thing. Sometimes I feel bad that my daughters don't have horses or gymnastic lessons, etc. but there isn't much to be done. Ebay is awesome. Have a great week and the sock looks fabulous.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks, Heide. Thinking of you this week at GS camp!

8:23 AM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

Pretty pretty!

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf