Thursday, June 29, 2006

Many watchers, few bids

I have some people watching my now more numerous auctions. The Round II It will sell, fortunately. Now for someone to decide to bid on the chenille (which has been languishing in my stash for something like ten years).

The fair sock has progressed significantly!!



Although these are not my favorite combinations of these colors, I have come to the realization that the best ones should be on the cuff anyway. Justification, anyone? But it's true. These socks won't be worn barefoot, you know. I am about 2/3 of the way through the heel and it is going much quicker this time. Plus IT FITS PERFECTLY!! [See Update below.] This is why Priscilla Gibson-Roberts is my sockknitting guru! I will be teaching my friend to knit her heels today (not in two colors) and I hope she will get it without borrowing my book (I never get books back somehow...this is not a personal thing about C or anything, I just seem to release them into the wild. I had to repurchase my Sally Melville books this spring as I'm sure I loaned them out but everyone said they didn't have them. MY FAULT).

Mindless knitting-wise and for Zarzuela's contest, the Knitpicks Parade socks:



These socks look odd on the needles, like the Jaywalkers. Kind of scrunched up. But on the foot, lovely! I hope this stitch pattern is not so unstretchy as to be too narrow at the top. But I could always give them away...but I don't want to. I'm aiming for NO commercial socks this winter. None.

And a really bad picture of the kitten. She just will not hold still for the camera so far. And when she sleeps, it's under the couch.



She seems to have stopped forgetting who the h*** we are overnight and is more friendly in the mornings. She has spent quite a bit of time on my lap (stepping on the keyboard) today already. Stitches out tomorrow!

I have a great ambition to do more actual writing on this blog. Maybe something clever or well thought out someday. I do have a niggling desire to write a sock book in the future. Guess I'll have to stop just doing this on the fly at 7 a.m.!

Have a lovely day!

UPDATE: They do not fit perfectly. Now that the heel is done, they are a bit too long. I could do the heel over but it took me a whole day's worth of knitting time. If I made it shallower, it would be okay. But these are thick socks, are they ever going to go inside my regular shoes? Are they destined for slipper type socks, anyway? I think so. I'm going to leave it and do the second one maybe shallower. Then if that one fits really well, I'll cut out the first heel and put a new one in. This is how last year's socks took something like four months to knit and these go in the mail July 12. Wish me luck!

6 Comments:

Blogger Star said...

Those socks are AMAZING!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks! They are fun and moving along. I'm two rows from finishing the heel! Yay!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Your socks rock. I say go for the book and start it right now. I'll buy it, I promise!!!!!!!

7:05 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Unfortunately, these are a pattern by Priscialla Gibson-Roberts, not by me, but I do feel more capable (and I do make up my own sock patterns all the time) so I will probably start doing the real thinking soon! Thanks for the compliments!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Heide said...

Lovely fair isle work! That must take forever to do on such small needles. I am very impressed. Thank you for the Giraffe link. I do so enjoy crafts, singing and playing with the girls and even elusive giraffe songs won't dampen our spirits. It will be fun. Please tell me that you've written down the patterns for those socks that you have made up. I'm always amazed by people talented enough to make something that is functional and beautiful.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Really, the socks that I've done myself are not so complicated so far. And I always use the PG-R heels and toes when I knit socks on the fly. I'll probably be more ambitious after these, though! I wish I had a photo (I'll take one when I'm on vacation) of the PG-R Love Stamp socks, they came out so well and three different kinds of intarsia in the round, whew!

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf