Wednesday, February 14, 2007

First of Many Picture Heavy Posts!!

I went outside and photographed my FO's and such today and will be posting them a little at a time. But I wanted to get my update out on my spinning experiment socks for the Twisted Knitters Dye-Spin-Knitalong from superwash merino from Crown Mountain Farms first.

These socks are so lovely (to me, anyway), soft, squishy, colorful. They go with my palette of clothes or with neutrals. I really love them and their high degree of, shall we say, spontaneity! So without further ado...



The yarns were spun from the same combinations of rovings in the same order, same weight of fiber. But in two different techniques, one from the fold, the other from the end of the roving. The from the fold yarn gave less yardage and was somewhat more lofty. Each color section is shorter than on the other sock. They don't feel different on the feet, though.

Here are pictures of the individual socks with the plies marked as they knitted up. First, from the fold:



The colors blended together more in the spinning, since the whole length of the staple was being spun at the same time. I like this yarn and would use this if I wanted a little more color blending rather than a tweedy look.

And from the end:



As you can see, I got more color differentiation, longer stretches of one thing at a time, more stripiness. Also a tweedier rather than a mixed together look. And again, more yardage here.

It was a really fun experiment and I plan to do it again, but this time not worrying about hue so much but trying to play with value. I think I would like to do something that goes through a value progression of some kind, maybe even back and forth.

The really fun part of this project was spinning the two sets of singles in order as I wanted them to ply. I know that this led to more fraternal socks, since the lengths of the singles were not controlled, but it was great fun to watch the colors flow through my hands and change so often. I never got bored (like I get bored spinning)!

Anyway, thanks to Margene for inspiring all of us to new challenges and great thanks also to Teyani at Crown Mountain for the lovely materials! NAYY, just a happy customer. I can't wait to see more of everyone's finished objects!

10 Comments:

Blogger margene said...

Fabulous! I'm so happy the camera showed up and you could share this very unique pair of socks with us!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Those look so great!

6:17 PM  
Blogger chipper said...

Beautiful!

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Those are really incredible socks, thanks for the detailed spinning description.

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are goregous!

katy

6:01 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

What a fun experiment! I love the color variations.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Heide said...

I remember these socks when they were freshly spun singles awaiting their plying adventure. Isn't it amazing how fast they grow up! Congratulations to you on getting the camera sent back! Did they forget to include a note telling you where to find it? hee, sounds like something I'd do. And congratulations to Ikkinala too!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Those are... well. Consider me stunned.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great experiment! The socks are wonderful! Thank you for annotating the pictures; it really helps to tell the tale of the two socks. I hope you'll report back to us on how they wear and if there are any differences there. I suspect the worsted sock will have a leg up (*snort* - sorry for the bad joke, sometimes I can't help myself).

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice sockage!!

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf