Saturday, August 16, 2008

What? Oh, the blog...

Seriously in vacation mode, as in dropped the ball on everything not absolutely necessary. Too busy shopping! Thanks, Mom!

Big news of August, OUR SCREENPLAY MADE THE SEMI-FINALS!!! Just about lost my mind after checking the email all day with my cell phone and then seeing our title on the list! Congratulations, sweetie!

Real life looms (in a good way). DD has decided she can't wait for 4th grade to begin and I rather agree with her. Of course, in a couple of weeks, when we are back to our fall season plethora of activities (theirs and mine), I will long for the lazy days of summer. But I do (as usual) have a plan (and apparently a surplus of parentheses).

I also have a new calendar, that's always fun!

Plan:

1. Write everything down in said calendar AS SOON AS I HEAR ABOUT IT. To stave off nightmares about nonexistent projects/presentations/snack responsibilities/crafts.

2. Take one hour each day, regardless of other responsibilities, to slow down and do something creative. This should help in various ways: slowing down helps with the mad growing of the children; creative pursuits help with the lack of mad growing of the mommy; finishing creative projects helps to mark the year with memories, rather than letting it go by willy-nilly; should make mommy happier and more relaxed.

3. Continue to compartmentalize responsibilities in three-week-or-less chunks. Thinking, making lists, research, all fine. Worrying, shopping, bad dreams, not fine. This has been helping for a couple of years and I will make more of a point this year not to worry about things that are farther down the line before I have to. The writing them all down should help with that. It's the vague feeling of having missed something important that torments me.

4. Monday morning is cleaning day. All 7 Flylady things will get done plus the litter box. Sets me up for a good week and leaves MORE time free for other things. Am I old enough to have learned this? Apparently not.

Anyway, I will report back on how well I do.

Fiber content:

Spinning away on my Ravelympics yarn and am one skein from the podium! orange for obama plied 1
My goal was 4 ounces of BFL sock yarn spun on my Cascade Little Si spindle, which again is a multi-rewarding goal. Gets me back into spindle spinning, more sock yarn, medal, orange yarn for the Tibet project, uses stash fiber, all good. Bad: 4 ounces of this fiber won't be enough on its own for a pair of socks. Nice to know that less than a week of spinning when I get home will remedy this problem. I have 4 more ounces of this colorway that I didn't bring with me. I'm getting an average of 65 yards per ounce (I know, I know, that's not sock yarn, but it is!). When I wash it, it might fluff up to sport, I suppose. Will make gorgeous Marigolds, though.

Knitting Hypnosis, but it goes slowly as I'm spinning and trying to follow a chart while watching kids and such. I'm not sure about these. They will look great, though, so perhaps more of an art project? Or for the Sock Contest? Still don't know what to enter in that. Should finish Pomatomus by September 13th, those are unbelievable: pomotamus 2
But I can only work on them when I am alone with no distractions. And I might need more yarn for the toes. I have another ounce of this colorway still unspun, though, if necessary.

I have shot lots of pictures of kids this trip, but haven't uploaded so I will save them for next time. Miss you, J and J! Home soon! Coffee the first day of school, yes?

Yes We Can!

Go Team USA!

Peace.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The unemployed teacher absolutly NEEDS you for tea and sympathy (coffee) on the first day of school. As long as you can... bad day for me.

Miss you, glad you'll be home soon!xo,
J.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incidentally, those socks are BEAUTIFUL... Really. Did you spin that yarn? Is that what I am understanding? Geez, you're good.

Also that golden yarn looks yum.

And, Congrats on the screenplay. You're gonna win.
xo,
J.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Heide said...

The socks are absolutely stunning! Welcome home after your trip. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around school starting next week. I'm unemployed and overwhelmed. Aaack!

12:06 PM  
Blogger ikkinlala said...

That is such a gorgeous sock!

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf