Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Startitis comes with the Cold (UPDATED)

UPDATE: Mailman brought nothing, ho hum. And I was so lazy this morning, I didn't link to anyone, so here they are:

Man, it is so cold here (for here)! I am pretty much cold all the time. And wanting some handknit warmth. I'm also a bit between projects, although Rogue should be calling out to me...

My Fetching mitts are making me want more, more, more. The lacy ones from Interweave's winter issue, but I would have to spin or buy some yarn. Hmmm... I do so love the alpaca, but before I spin for myself, I MUST spin for my Spin-to-Knit pal or it won't get done.

Speaking of S2K, my upstream pal bailed. Oh, I mentioned that before. But they have found me an angel and so all is well. My pal's pal is spinning for me. Thanks!!!

My downstream pal likes blues/reds/purples. I was going to dye some alpaca but the time is getting short for a January mailing and she can have some in the February batch. I do, however, have two beautiful choices for her colors. Crown Mountain Farms Superwash Merino in American Pie and Spunky Eclectic's Fiber Club December ("Good Morning") offering are both in her color scheme. I'm going to try to spin up some CMF in a two-ply Aran weight (like my mitts yarn). Should be fast, colorful and soft. The Spunky roving could be spun into sport for lacy mitts for me afterward, as they would go with my choir robe. But I am sort of considering some black alpaca, if that exists in the right weight over at Unwind. We shall see...Of course, I'm broke, so that will have to wait a bit. And waiting is not in the cards today!

So I shall spin for my pal and then for myself and get knitting. It's only a few ounces. I will have mitts by the weekend, I hope.

Thinking about Sally Melville's Gauntlets, too, though. Hope Margene doesn't mind me using her picture! Since they're stockinette they would survive the variegated nature of my normal yarn more successfully than lace. I have a feeling I need 350 yards for those, however, so that's a bit of a challenge this quickly.

Can you tell it's odd for me to be product oriented this week? It's usually all about the process for me. But it's so d**n cold, I want to wear something warm!

Have a lovely day and pray with me that the mailman brings the camera very soon...

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Everything you're planning sounds beautiful. Can't wait for pictures.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Joyfossil said...

I am like that with the mitts too - I have already made two pairs. If I had another ball of a different color of alpaca I would be knitting set #3 right now. Tomorrow I am getting another color. (I have a ball of cream left... I want a color)

Incidentally, Needle in a Haystack in Montrose has differnt colors of alpaca (misti alpaca) and it's slightly cheaper than 'round the corner. I may go there tomorrow... I know, I'm adicted. But, like you said, it's soooo cold and all I want to do is wear soft fluffy yarn things that I made. Since my socks aren't done, that means my mitts...

Anyhow, I am looking forward to seeing the finished sweater on your FIL.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf