Monday, March 24, 2008

Hat is finished, swatching has commenced!

Having been tormented for what seems like forever by which sweater to knit for the Fair this year out of my variegated, but coordinated, yarns, today I swatched some mitered squares: garter ridges swatch Garter Ridge square-this one was difficult to figure out from the book I was reading and I don't think it's worth it as it's very difficult to see the textural changes.

koigu garter square swatch Twisted Garter square-these are the squares they use in "Knits from a Painter's Palette" and I do like this one. My only gripe is that the square is very dense and would make a heavy sweater. I shall try again with bigger needles. This is DK yarn on 7's.

ojo square swatch Ojo de dios square-This one is nice but might be too busy with all the variegations in the yarns. Better in solids or even multis that knit up as solids.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm thinking a mitred square cardigan, 8 squares across, 9 squares tall, improvised as I go along.

Or Bettna.

Peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Knit.Or.Miss said...

I think I like the Ojo de dios square. It has interesting texture changes but doesn't look too dense. I like the Twisted Garter one, too, but if it is too dense, you'll never wear it. I'm all about making things easier, so eliminating more complicated patterns works for me. I remember you talking about making this sweater, but I don't recall why you're making mitered squares. For a border?

7:00 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I was going to do an entirely mitered square sweater, but I think I have figured out why everyone does them in sock weight yarns. They look better on a smaller scale. I had to go down to 19 stitch squares to get the size I wanted and the proportions weren't right.

I've since swatched for Bettna something like six times trying to get a fabric I like at a stitch count that works for the lower front pieces and now need to finish spinning the last one or two yarns so that I have all my choices available. I'll probably take more swatch photos today, though.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf