Friday, June 16, 2006

First Grade is Dead; Long Live Second Grade!

DD had her last day of school. Some of the moms and I got a little party together at the last minute and they had fun. One of the dads came in and acted out stories and songs and Jabberwocky and was GREAT! Thanks, Mr. Prather!!



This is a picture of DD at our Service Unit Bridging ceremony last weekend. She didn't bridge, but did help our Daisy Troop learn how to be Brownies. Yay, Girl Scouts!!

And just to be fair...



DS at our friend John's birthday party. It is hard to catch him keeping still!





This morning we don't have to be anywhere till 12:15, lovely. Now if only DS can give up the whining for just a couple of days and let me recover from the last two!

The next couple of days are preparing for Father's Day here at home (cards, etc.) and Vacation Bible School (I teach games) next week. I'm pretty much on the ball, though. Only I have to make 100 water balloons on Sunday. And help decorate the church. And be in all the skits. I love VBS!! I really do. It's my fourth year and I wouldn't give it up for anything. I spend the whole year seeing kids I would never see otherwise (different school, different church) around town and they remember me and had fun. DD's new really close friend is going to be in her group. I just wish my subconscious would stop making me dream about stuff I haven't done for some hundreds of children that are showing up for some mythical event in the morning. I keep telling myself, these are not real events. All is well. But this usually goes on till VBS is over. The first year it was TERRIBLE. I don't think I slept for two weeks!

Now for the knitting content. I have some good news and some bad news. Bad news is Dark Blue on Gray, way too dull and boring for ME. Frogged the beginning of that band on the socks. Decided I need another color, not enough brights, not enough eye searing goodness. So here you go:



This is my first dye experiment using a recipe from my Lanaset Rainbows book that DH got me for my birthday. It's pretty close. A bit lighter, but certainly within spitting distance. I'm going to get some tiny ziplocks today so I can put my own samples next to the ones in the book and really expand the database over time.

I hardly ever immersion dye, but I should more often as it's so quick and easy. The cooking takes a while. This green took a long time to exhaust, but that's just waiting around smelling the vinegar. The process is fast and can be done with awake children, as opposed to painting which is fun, but the children have to do some, too, which means some real dye, some food coloring, etc. I like it but I do have to have a block of time.

Anyway, I like this color and will be adding it to the socks by using it as foreground for the gray in Band 2.

Here are the socks so far:



And a lovely photo of my hand. I started these on bamboo 0's but they made me uncomfortable. I changed to metal 0's but I didn't like having so many needle changes in a round. So now I'm on circular 0's. Not any faster, but at least I only change needles twice. I'll probably stick with these. There is a bit of puckering on Band 1 but it should block out okay.

I still haven't carded the red-violet. These socks really call for 6 colors and I've got seven now, but I think I do need another warm color. The spinning was NOT completed by June 15th. I must not knit anything else except when I can't follow a chart! So here is...



The felted bag I started on Monday afternoon. As much as I want and need to be working on one thing at a time right now, I can't read charts everywhere. So in comes brainless knitting with almost random handspun (it all has green in it). This will come to DS's preschool picnic today and probably be finished at VBS next week. I've been hesitant to knit this stuff up for felting as it is not all the same fiber content, but what the heck. Who cares! Am I going to knit these little sample skeins into anything else? Well, the blue-green BFL might have gone somewhere "better" but if this bag works, I will use it all the time. It will be a Booga bag eventually. Brainless and quick.

Here is the project that I started but am NOT, I tell you NOT, knitting on right now:



Rogue in Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in Carrot. I'm loving this, but again, can't do charts all the time. And if I can, I have to do the socks. This will be my project for summer vacation, I think, with some socks for brainless times.

Wow, what a long post! Congratulations for sticking with it to the end. I hope to have updates on some of these projects in a couple of days.

Happy spinning, knitting and summer vacation! Woo-hoo!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

I'd wish you luck on the Booga Bag, but you don't need it. You knit to beat the band. I love the sock and the sweater in orange is gorgeous. I think the bag will turn out just fine. Probably more interesting than most because of the different fibers making different textures. I can't wait to see it finished.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks for the compliments! I'm hoping that the socks come out nice since I love the pattern. The booga bag is now on the seconds stripe. I wonder what will come next...no idea. Maybe my wool/mohair yarn from last year's fair. All the green will be gone. What should I do with the red?

12:52 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Put wherever the mood strikes you. I personally love asymetry, don't you? Maybe toward the bottom for interest? What do you think?

2:25 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I'm sticking with one common color for this project. But I do have a bunch of red themed handspun to find a home for, some of which I don't like much in the skein (not always a good indication). But I really must do the socks. I'm about halfway through the gray/green band. Gotta take a picture, I guess!

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf