Saturday, September 09, 2006

Someone I know has been to the Fair

And sent this lovely picture:



Thanks, Evelyn!!

Having claimed that I will be happy with anything, I refuse to complain that I only got a second place. Last year I got First with much less complicated socks and the year before I got Second with baby socks of no particular beauty as far as I can tell.

I was much more ambitious this year and they changed the judging rules (to Danish rules). They weren't even going to award ribbons in a class if there was nothing good enough. And I hope that there was more competition this year, as that would extend the life of the category.

Anyway, yay for the Red Ribbon! I will have to wait for the results on the yarn.

Competing in fairs is really fun and gets me very excited in the planning and making of the projecs. It gets me out of a rut and learning new things. This year it got me learning all sorts of things about fairisle and spinning and Norwegian purling and persistence.

Next year I'm thinking of doing something larger, but at a larger gauge, too, so not so bad. There's a Noro sweater I'd like to do a really complicated dye run for, 10 balls of 13 colors, 10 yards each. I have the colors planned out already, but I don't have quite enough roving (I'll dye 3 pounds). I'll immersion dye the roving and then split it into equal pieces and spin it in order. My only concern is that I want to have the colors bleed into each other so I might spin from the fold so that I can have the transitions be rather long. This is what I think about when I'm trying to fall asleep at night...

Anyway, in a week or so I will have more time to dye. My biggest problem right now is I need to start the FIL sweater but I can't afford the yarn. And it's not even very expensive. Just a bad month. Ho hum.

Meanwhile, I've been knitting a Seaweed Silk Camisole by Alexandra at Artisokka Workshop. It's a very nice pattern and I've knit it in a discontinued Noro yarn called Sarubia (70% silk, 30% kid mohair). It's lovely yarn and I really like the camisole so far. Button shopping tomorrow and then sewing and button loops. Should be done by Tuesday for the...SCREENING OF OUR FILM!!! More later...

9 Comments:

Blogger Elisa said...

Congrats on your ribbon! Aren't Fairs fun? (Even when you deserve Blue but don't get it. Those are amazing socks.) What pattern/yarn are you going to use for FIL's sweater?

Congrats on the screening too. Can't wait to hear more about it (and see photos . . . . )

12:19 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks!

Screening information is coming but I don't want to link to our site until it's ready...tomorrow, I think.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Joyfossil said...

Hooray for YOU!!! Second Place is great! I bet the 1st place winner spun her own hair and straw and turned it into gold and then made fair isle socks for a pixie using size 0000000 (perhaps dwarf pine needles?) needles. It must be something that fantastic to beat those beautiful socks of yours... but 2nd is so good!


As for the camisole, I have seen it (at least the back) while on the needles and it is exquisite! I can't wait to see the finished product.

I am still in the black hole...
Congratulations, O knitting Master!

xo,
Joy

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY, congratulations on the ribbon! I went to the fair on Saturday and called all my friends over "This is Petrie-Muffin-Bunny's mom!!"

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I am Petriemuffinbunny'sfoster'sfriend--I saw your socks at the fair and we were so excited for you after seeing them in development over the weeks. I wanted to share that my sister-in-law is also a coloratura soprano and she Knits! Her site is http://coloraturaknits.com/
I have been meaning to send her your site too...I don't know where she sits "politically" speaking but I think that she would enjoy your discussions about family and knitting. I will send it on.
Congratulations on the socks and give that little kitty some kisses for me! I am glad that she has been such a joy for you and your sweet family. I met you at the adoption fair. Great kids! Take Care!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Hi, all you visitors!

Joy, I would never be mad at you for watching. It's a free country, so far. But I'm glad it was a bore. Hopefully the ratings tanked very quickly. Myself, no more ABC.

Thanks for all of the compliments on the socks! It's nice to know someone actually looks at the names on the stuff in the cases!

It's so funny, Linda, that you know another coloratura knitter! Does she live around here? The politics have taken over the site for the moment, but the knitting will return. I have an almost FO (that I want to wear tomorrow). And I'm always looking for people who can substitute for me at my church job...

Anyway, thanks for coming by!

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I was just at the fair and I saw your socks and some of the yarn you spun too, and the yarn definately got a ribbon. So congrats!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks for letting me know!! I can't go myself until the last week so I'm counting on people looking for me (or them posting the results online).

5:21 PM  
Blogger Star said...

I can NOT imagine what took first! But congrats anyway because they look pretty awesome with that big red ribbon on them!

I can't wait to see them in person with the ribbon!

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf