Friday, July 21, 2006

A Happy Day

First, and most important, of all, Star is great! We had a lovely coffee (she had PIE, I'm so jealous!) in Studio City and talked like we had known each other forever. It was so nice! Then we got down to the yarns, of course.

These are the first two of Star's three Fair entries:



Aren't they lovely? She was having a hard time choosing between the pastel yarn and another one with more lavender in it, but this one won out. The blue and orange skein is wool with mohair and they are both just so pretty!

Her third entry is this giant hank:



Also gorgeous and have I said giant?









I also got to show her my fair entries, which are now completely finished and dry:



This is a skein of two-ply BFL that I dyed the top for in the colors of DH's play, "Pilgrim", in the spring. I'm very proud of this skein (it also has a mate) and it will be made up into socks or a scarf or something to wear to opening night when the show gets produced again. I'm keeping it till then as a good luck charm. Let's all cross our fingers (or say a prayer or something) that this winter they will have a successful run which leads more directly to New York!

And here is a good picture of the finished socks:



All of the above will take a road trip to Pomona on Tuesday and then we wait. Usually the ribbons are posted online on the first day of the fair, but last year it took a couple of weeks, terrible waiting!

Best results would be for Star to win this year, as it is her first time out and so the most exciting! But we both just want to be up in the cases. Now we need to work on her entering the contest. Remember, Star, they send you a free ticket to the fair AND a parking pass for the Sheraton if you enter...

Bottom line is we had a wonderful afternoon, thank you Star, thank you DH and DS for the time away. We went to two yarn shops and fondled and discussed spinning all the yarns we saw. I only spent $11.50 and Star got some light up needles, which I think would be especially good for camping...if only they came in circulars!

Hope you had as nice a day as we did!

8 Comments:

Blogger Star said...

Wow! Thanks SO much for all the kind "press!" I want to thank your family too for allowing us to hang out all afternoon so indulgently! It was so much fun and I can't wait to do it again!

One thing the people need to knnow is these socks and your homespun are so amazing to see in person. The photos are good, but nothing compares to the real thing. The socks belong in a museum!

Overall I think we were very good considering we hit up TWO yarn stores and one of them had a massive 50% off sale. Oh the self-restraint.

Thanks again! I had a lot of fun.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Brewer said...

That's it. I am officially jealous! Darn my husband for not getting a job with a tunneling company in LA County! I wanna hang out with the cool people at the fair, tooo!

Ok, whining done :)

Congrats on the great looking yarn and the massive self-restraint!

Good luck!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Me, too! And thanks for the props (is that right?)!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Weaver, you need a vacation! Sometime between September 8th and...the end of the fair...or spinning contest weekend. Wish we knew when it was.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Heide said...

Dang, I want to come hang out with you and Star! My husband totally zones when I discuss anything fiber with him. Most of the knitters I "know" are via their blogs. I sure hope you both do well at the fair. Good luck with the play too!

4:51 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks for the good wishes, Heide. If only I can actually get to Pomona without melting, I will be happy. I must do my little 3x5 cards and all that today or tomorrow to be ready...

Then it's on to planning what to bring to spin and knit on vacation. I always bring too much! I haven't been spindling, though, so I must choose something I will enjoy on a spindle. Hoping the Spunky Eclectic Club will be fun this month (neutrals?).

Thanks for visiting!

6:28 PM  
Blogger yarnmaniac said...

Drooling over the socks!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Thanks! Judging was Tuesday; it's so hard to wait!

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf