Tuesday, July 25, 2006

IK Fall Issue has arrived at shadowlandwest

And I like quite a few things in it. I have examined it for my most important criterion (after looks, of course) and many of these designs could be made from Knitpicks yarns!

I think the Sienna Cardigan (page 122) could be knit from my purple merino that I bought on sale at Unwind ($3 a ball for 14 balls but not enough for Rogue, only 1160 yards).

I also like the Spartan Pullover (page 100), a simple man's sweater. It looks comfortable and easy.

I think the Father and Son socks would look especially nice in Knitpicks' new silk/wool blend Gloss sock yarn, as the purl detailing would really pop in a somewhat shiny fiber. It would take some tweaking to fit ME, of course, and socks for ME are all important. But I'm good at that.

I also like Coral Crossing on page 78. It looks comfortable and sexy, but not overwhelming. Merino Style.

And the cover sweater. Since I live in a warm climate, it's nice to see a sweater without a high neckline (too hot), with pretty colorwork and NO RIBBING AT THE BOTTOM!!! I truly hate ribbing at the bottom of sweaters. Blech! Again, Merino Style, very nice.

But my absolute favorite, a sweater I am actually seriously considering knitting (as if I can with the queue what it is!) is the Gatsby Girl Pullover. What, it's not a cardigan? Suitable for layering in warm/cool SoCal? I think this sweater is just lovely, feminine and would look nice on me. Usually I go for rather boxy shapes, but this one is calling my name. Merino Style, once again.

Now, I know that Knitpicks yarn is not the best or the most luxurious in the world. And they don't have a huge array of colors. But they are affordable and perfectly nice, at least the ones I've used so far. I have been nothing but pleased with all of the yarns I have purchased (a lot) since they started their own lines. I look forward to trying them all!

Anyway, if I want to knit sweaters, I need a serious sale (on the right day) or Knitpicks. And Knitpicks is always there, with their Free Shipping offer and all.

In Fair news, Star's and my entries were successfully delivered at about 10:30 this morning. I even decided to pay the fee to have them mail everything back this year (instead of me driving out there AGAIN in October). It was fun, although I think they should open the onion rings place just for the day. It's so weird to drive your car right onto the fairgrounds and park next to the grandstand. During the fair, we park forever away!

Wish us luck!

11 Comments:

Blogger Star said...

WHERE IS MY COPY? I'm dying to see it! I saw a sneak peek on the web and it looks like a good issue. My mailman is probably making copies before delivering it to me...

I'm also hooked on knitpicks! I'm curious to try some of the new yarns, including gloss. They have another new sock yarn that looks good too.

I keep daydreaming about going back to yarn garden. Was that a dream or was half of that store on sale?

9:01 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

No, it wasn't a dream and I still want the rest of that purple. I just have to suck it up and drive out there in my car with no AC and children (a deterrent to yarn shopping always). Maybe Friday.

IK is the only mag that I subscribe to. The others I sometimes buy, sometimes not. I'll have to get VK this time though, they have 6 sock patterns (and usually have none).

6:43 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I haven't gotten my IK Knits yet. Sounds wonderful. And, good luck to you both.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Star said...

I get Vogue knitting, Interweave and knitter's - all three christmas gifts! I'd keep the interweave and vogue but let the knitter's go. You can borrow my vogues anytime btw.

Let me know if you're really going out there on friday - I may join you! (I promise not to steal you all afternoon again)

12:51 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Well, kids have to go with me, but that's fun in its way, too. I'm sure they would like to meet you! And you have something in common with my daughter (but I won't spoil the surprise...)

Thanks for the borrowing offer. I used to buy them all every time, but I never knit from VK anymore it seems, and if Knitter's does a theme that I like, I buy it. But often the designs in Knitter's just do not appeal. If there's nothing I would knit in it, I don't collect any more. Just not enough room (and $)!

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've already knit up a pair of socks with the Knit Picks Gloss yarn and it is absolutely yummy.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU GOT YOURS TOO?!?! Sonofa...

Okay that's it. I'm seriously pouting now.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Joyfossil said...

You have to make the pretty sweater we looked at in that mag. It will look so nice on you. You should make it to wear to something nice at Christmas time with a skirt. Pretty pretty!

The girl wore her socks (FINISHED!!!!!) to bed last night. She L O V E S them! I finished one tiny little one for Molly the Dolly. I did the kitchener toes but I think I didn't do such a splendid job... Molly is just a doll, she doesn't care. I am started on #2 of the tiny sock (and I mean TEENY!). I think I am going to try to whip up a pair of tiny sox for my neice before I go on vacation to see her too.

Anyhow, Thank you Oh Sock Enabler! You got me... I am sock hooked.

Today I took my girl and her bestest pal to the American Girl Store. It was SO fun. We had a ball! We didn't eat there(no reservations available) but we REALLY enjoyed our trip!

I do miss seeing you each day at the pool. Next week I am free all day Tues. Wed and Thurs. Can we go somewhere and knit together? Maybe? I miss Jill too, don't you.

Probably now you need to teach me to spin... so when we go to the fair I can buy wool to spin... how cool am I? I am almost as cool as YOU, oh knitting guru!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Joy, I am so glad S likes her sockies! Doesn't it feel good to hvae someone put them on and smile?

We also have NOTHING going on next week, so getting together for spinning/knitting is a good idea. We can do Tuesday if you want, and then if you need some more coaching or anything we can try again on Thursday.

Miss you at the pool, too, but you should see them now. L decided yesterday to practice with his kickboard, which was going well till they told him he couldn't have it in the pool. So he decided to swim! Really!! Just amazing! And M still can't do the whole way across but she has improved enormously also. I'm sorry we don't have another session. L is on the edge of Level 2.

I'm sure (hope so) we'll see you at the pool on Sunday, so if you want to firm up next week then, that's great. Or give me a call!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Oh, and Joy, I meant to say that there isn't much in the way of spinning fiber to buy at the fair, more's the pity. But I have supplies and I can order supplies, god knows! I can also lead you to some internet places that I totally trust, so we'll talk (and surf) after you decide (ha!) if you like spinning or not. I can set you up for the moment...Stitch Cafe in North Hollywood has a bit, but expensive.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey, I'm the same way with my knitting mags! "hmmm, which ones can I substitute with Knit Picks fare???" *tee hee!*

~ hb33 ~

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
Knitting Wendys
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf